For the topic on Feminism, we were discussing on what is feminism?
For the record, feminism is not about women wanting to be like men- it's about basic human rights and equality!
Then we proceed to how do feminists look like? A guy mentioned that they have hairy armpit, and they are big and muscular. Haha... My teacher, a self-professed feminist. laughed out loudly and said that she shaved her armpit hair and she's a little muscular because she grew up in the farm. I don't know what a feminist looks like, but the image that I have in my mind is that they look like any normal, common women you can find in the street or school or office. Well, not like models or Hollywood actresses, they are not your common women anyway.
My teacher, Ms Hough, asked the class this question," how many of you are a feminist?" Only a few unsure hands being raised. She proceed to ask, both the male and female in the class about who thinks there should be equal rights, like voting, for both men and women. Before anyone could raise up their hands, she continued saying that if you said yes, then you're a feminist. A feminist need not only be a female. A male can be a feminist. ( this is really an eye-opener because I always thought a feminist is a female!).
She discussed some other things which is in the notes and in order to fully explain this, I need to type what're in the notes and I don't want to that, so let's skip it.
Before the class ended, she asked the males in the class how many of them would marry a women who earn more than them. Quite a no. of people raise up their hands. A guy whom Ms Hough always refer as Mr Campbell, said that he didn't care as long as she's nice and he loved her, nothing matters. Hmph...
She asked the same question to the girls( marry men with earning lower than them) Only a few hands shot in the air. The reason was simple. Women want men who can give them security both financially and socially. So, very few would want to provide for their husband. The husband is supposed to provide for the wife. That's what I think. And I want my husband to be cleaverer (in terms of his IQ) and richer than me. THis gives me a sense of security!!!
One last question was asked before it's time to go. How many of the girls in the class would marry a son raised by a feminist. This question was a shocker. Some muttered that they never thought of this before. Well, a girl raised up her hand and she said that a guy raised by a feminist would have more respect for women. May be this is true! I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment