Just came back from work. I enjoyed my time at work today. It's not busy today. I think many students went home for the weekend, hoping for the snow to get big and hence school will be cancelled on monday, i guess. But no such luck! There's a basketball game being played at night, but surprisingly there weren't many people patronizing before the game. Not sure with after the game, cause i was resting at home :P Basically, I was slacking around, chatting and joking with Bishan, Becky, and Yuki. There were more people today than last week- 2 more than last week. And with few orders, some of us were like staring in the space. Well, ok, only me and Bishan had nothing to do :P I don't know. It's just happened that everyone else seemed to be doing something- sweeping the floor, taking our the trash, washing the dishes, tending the cash register... I couldn't find anything to do. Anyway, Bishan told me that today was his last day working there as he has found a new job. I guess Saturday would be rather quiet from next week on without him around.
I just read an article from Soccernet. It tells us why England's prospect of winning European championships and World Cup is very slim in the future.
"There is a problem in the English game, and you won't find it subject to a Panorama investigation, or an FA disciplinary panel. The real dirty secret of English football is the lack of young English talent cultivated from the clubs' Academy systems. Forget 'bungs', TV replays and diving debates, if there is a crisis in the game that needs to be sorted first, this is it.
Looking down a list of Academy graduates currently playing in the Premiership makes painful reading. There are always stand-out cases: John Terry, Paul Scholes, Ledley King and Steven Gerrard spring to mind, and granted, they are exceptional talents. The trouble is, everywhere else, the next Terry or Gerrard aren't getting the opportunity to prove themselves because of an influx of continental youngsters.
Out of the 20 Premiership teams (and around 600 players), there are fewer than 50 young English players who have made the step up from Academy to first-team. Some teams have even fielded a squad without a single English presence. .....
....Not good omens for the future of England's national team, although the entertainment that these players bring to the Premiership goes some way to repairing the damage. Who can honestly say they'd rather see Kieran Richardson in United's midfield, rather than Cristiano Ronaldo? Francis Jeffers in place of Thierry Henry? I think not.
Yet we pay a price for having such talented foreign players in the league. Crowds may be on the up, TV deals through the roof, but if English players can't even compete against our continental cousins for squad places, how will they manage when the next European championships or World Cup rolls around?
Even with a dreadful record from the spot, England can only hope it goes to penalties, at least you can't teach that. "
As for me,I will most probably won't be supporting England when Gerrard retires from international football. But I will always support Liverpool with or without Gerrard!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment