I'm so so so so so frustrated. Firstly,it's because I miss home. Secondly and more importantly, it's because of that stupid Mabel. She worked darn slow today. And Sunggoro worked with her!!! I, by some luck, got to work with Beverly again. So, I finished early today at around 1.30. Then, I had to wait for an hour for Sung. I wanted to help him actually, but he was doing the bathroom, so I couldn't really help him. He asked me to do the bed cause he had twin beds. But, I didn't want to because that Mabel definitely wouldn't want any help. I knew it because 1) Bevely told me that you don't help Mabel! 2) She wants her paycheck. The longer the more money she had 3) When I approached the room she worked in, she coldly said to me, " What do you want?" ( Duh! Isn't it obvious? Of course I wanted to talk to my cousin. Bu ran yao gen ta tan qing suo ai arh?) I replied as a matter of factly and coldly too, " I want to talk to my cousin." She told me to go to the bathroom. I did and I told him I will wait for him till 2pm and if he's still not done, I might help him. He still had 4 rooms left. My goodness! I know he had many twin beds to do, but surely not that slow! Oh well, it's that Mabel! I actually wanted to wait in the housekeeping room, but there's ppl in there. Then this lady who I had only seen today kept staring at me. Her name is Sandy and her work is to check the room that had been cleaned. She looked at me as I sat down and read the papers. I pretend not as if nothing is wrong. May be she feels that I should go home and not wait for sung there. Well, if she's sitting down in the room, resting instead of doing her work, why can't I do that too? In fact, I'm not the only one who waste time. What about those ppl who take too many breaks? My job is done, but I'm waiting for my cousin as we usually punched out together. I don't know if they allow it, but Beverly always wait for Charlotte and they go home together. Why can't sung and I? By the way, Beverly went for job interview as a teaching assistant. But she will only know if she get the job on tue. I hope she gets it because she need more money and it's really better for her. She not young anymore and housekeeping job is really tiring. And today is Stacy's last day. You can't last long as a housekeeper, can you? ( I still have 2 more weeks and 1 whole fall semester to go before I can call it quit! But i'm working on the the excuse to quit the job alr. I should stop thinking about quitting when I barely started :( *sigh* Can you blame me?)
Before I proceed with telling you the rest of the day, let me just commend on something about the surprise "farewell party". Yes, with the inverted commas. Why? because it's not a party at all. The food came, then we sat around the table, waiting for Stacy to be surprised. Stacy came, she looked surprised, but since she's a quiet lady, she didn't say much or show too much emotion. She came in, sat down and ppl started queueing for food( fried chicken, Mabel's potato salad and baked beans, bread and soft drinks) Then, we sat down and eat our food quietly. Not many ppl talk. Even when they were talking and joking, it's... I don't really know how to put it into words, but basically what i'm trying to say is that there wasn't any atmosphere at all. Hello, it's supposed to be a party. There should be laughter echoing the whole room or tears being shed since it's a farewell party. But nothing! No party mood whatsoever. There wasn't even a thank you speech by Stacy or any form of speech by the other "senior housekeepers". And you called this a farewell party? The inverted commas are so appropriate! Sitting there, staring at the wall, listening to some ppl's talk or jokes which I didn't understand at all, made me think back of the fun time I had with 4e1 or even with the Library and Art Club ppl. What they mean by a gathering, a party(of any sort) is really a gathering and a party. The mood is just right, not too mild not too wild! I really missed those days. And I started to miss my family too.
Back to the topic, so, I had to wait for Sung. I sat in the housekeeper's room a little while. After observing me for a few seconds, Sandy decided to do her work! I was left alone with the laundry lady who did her ironing in the room cause the big iron in there(I don't know why. So don't ask me) I asked her if she needed help. She said no. So I looked around the room for a while before deciding to leave the room. I looked for Sung again and he still had 3 more rooms. I decided to sit on the staircase. I sat there all alone and as I looked out of the window into the clear blue sky, I started to think about my family and my friends in Singapore. I missed them really really really x100 badly (i'm crying again now as I recalled this! Argh!) . I haven't think of them that much for the past few days as I was too tired from the housekeeping job. As I think of them, I started to cry. It lasted for a few minutes. I wanted to be a secondary school students again. I noticed the "senior housekeepers" are a bunch of hyprocriates ( except of Beverly and Charlotte, I think) Well, at least they seem to be more sincere than the rest. They smiled at you and what you are saying when it's really obvious that that smile on their face are fake. They seemed to be nice to you, but when you are not looking, they talk behind your back(ok, students do that too, but we kinna expect more from adults, right?) It's really scary! I don't want to be that when I grow up. I hope I can get along well with my collegues and I don't have to pretend to be nice to them when I clearly don't like them. And I really don't want to do such a job when I grow up. I envision myself to be working in an office doing a more "high class job". I'm not saying that being a housekeepers are shameful, but really, when you have a bachelor or master degree, will you really want to work as a housekeepers? NO! you want to work in a nice office!!! By the way, there's a bunch of girl basketball players staying in the hotel. While I was cleaning the rooms in the second floor, they girls came, chattering noisily down the hallway. They stopped in the middle of the hallway as one of the girls was talking to her father whose room happened to be in the middle of the hallway. I forgot to empty the dustbin in one of the room and I had to go back to empty it. So this girl wiht a basketball in her right hand and chewing on her left hand, blocked the way. I said excuse me really nicely, but she looked at me as if I'm a filth and move her upper body only by a few inches. I had to squeeze behind her, trying not to come into contact with her. REally, she's probably only around 12 years old and she's already doing that. What's wrong by being a housekeeper? Does being a basketballer ( not even a national basketballer) so great? She really mei jia jiao. Her parents have failed in educating her!!!!
Ok, back to me waiting for Sung. Where was I? Oh ya, I was crying when I finally stopped, I felt much better. I heard somebody coming down the stairs. I quickly grabbed my backpack and run away. I looked for Sung again, and he still hadn't done yet. It's almost 2.30 pm now. Then I thought of a brilliant excuse. We or rather he had to leave as he's meeting his advisor at 2.30pm. Mabel was taking a break, smoking. I decided to change inside the bathroom then, he asked me to help him clean. I was a little apprehensive at first as I didn't want that Mabel to find me cleaning the bathroom. But I couldn't just stand and look at Sung cleaning the room by himself. So I decided to help him a little and hopefully be able to finish or stop cleaning before that Mabel came back. But my hope was trashed as Mabel came back and saw me cleaning the bathroom. Then, she said coldly to me, " We don't need help!" I tried to reply her but she just wouldn't listen to what I have to say and just shook her head and kept saying, "No, No..." Really wish she sprained her neck! I felt like telling her, "What do you mean by WE? YOU don't need any help, but my poor cousin DO!!!" No point in talking to an unreasonable person like her. I went out and then Sung told her that he had to left now as he need to see the advisor at 2.30 . Then she brought us to see Pauline ( the person-in-charge since Tommy was off), but she's nowhere to be found. The laundry lady told her to just let us or Sung off and she could just do the remaining room by herself(she should be over the moon!!! Still act for what?) that Mabel replied, " Oh, I just feel that I should tell somebody of higher position (the correct word should be of higher AUTHORITY!!!)." The laundry lady: "you can tell Sandy!" That Mabel just ignore her and walked away toward the "punch in and punch out" room and muttered under her breath," Sandy ain't of higher position." ( At least what Sandy is doing is of higher position than you!) REally, she could just stop pretending and cut her acting( which was really really damn lousy. Oh well, if she can act so well, she might as well go to Hollywood, right?) by being nice to us (when she just snapped at me a few min ago) and trying to find ways to let Sung off(when actually she could just let him off since he's a trainee) The point was she just wanted to waste some more time! URGH! What a hyprocriate! We still have training next week. I think I may have to work under her again. I really really hope against all odd, I don't have to be so unlucky! WE punched out and apparently, we worked for 22 hr for the week. 2 hours over. I hope we won't get into trouble. And that Mabel saw me punched out at the same time with Sung when obviously I wasn't doing anything for the past hour. I think she knew (that I haven't punched out yet) , but I also think she didn't. I just hope that she didn't tell this to Tommy. I could actually complain the same thing about her, couldn't I? But i heard from Beverly that Tommy likes Mabel because she works longer and Tommy has this feeling that she's doing a great job. We just thinking that if we wait for one another, we can get more or less the same amt of time and hence, the same amt of money. We have the same job after all. I don't think it's really fair, the pay per hour system. It's like if you manage to finish the job early, you got lesser pay than those who did it slower because they dilly-dally and we are given the same number of room to clean. Where's justice!!! That's why, I want to work somewhere with a fair salary system. I have to start and end work as stated in the office hour. This is fairer!!! And if I really have the chance, I will write a long letter of complaint to the manager or any person who has the highest AUTHORITY about this unfair work system to the housekeepers! May be I will do that before I quit or better when I have found a new job and this may be a perfect chance for me to be sacked!!!
Oh yar, talking about that Mable, in the morning, she came to Beverly and checked her trolley for her spray bottle. She found it there and just took it away, saying, "This is mine! See my name here?" I didnt' see the whole point of having to get back her bottle by searching everyone's trolly when she could just use another bottle. Beverly had to get a new one. If I really really have to use my own spray bottle before I could do my job properly(because I'm a weird person who can't work without my own things!) I would take a bottle and then search my bottle and when I found it, I would give the bottle without my name on it to the person who happened to have my bottle for whatever reason. Sooooooo unreasonable!
I really wrote a lot, but I just have to get all these out of my chest to fell at ease. I really missed calling jac at night and pour out all my worries, my complaints... I really miss everyone in Singapore. OH my, I started to cry again!
No comments:
Post a Comment