Called my aunt last night. Actually, I wanted to talk to my twin cousins but my aunt answered the phone and blabbered lots of things. She asked me to take "more difficult" major to study, like engineering(like the twins) since I can study( don't exactly know what she means by that) Well, for once, I don't think Economics is easy. I mean lots of ppl who study it at JC say that it isn't easy. I think it's just her mindset that any major under businees faculty is not as difficult as the Sciences (like my former tutor who always discourage me to take any other subjects but sciences. And she gave a long long lecture (of how my future will be ruined, like i can only be a teacher...) when I decided to take Arts instead of Science for my first 2 months)! So stereotypical! And narrow-minded! For the Arts stream, if it's really very bad and put the students' future at risk, why would the government still offering that course? And not everyone loves Science! So what if I ended up becoming a teacher if I study Arts? Isn't a teacher an important and noble job? Where would she be without her teachers? And isn't she a teacher too? At least I enjoy what i'm doing. And that's the most important thing. Doing things because others says it will be good for you doesn't meant that it will be good. You decide what is good for you. You decide what you like and want to do. And that is precisely what i am doing. I have a mind of my own and I know myself better than anyone else (except God) and I decide what I think suit me best!
(But let me straight things out. I don't want to be a teacher. Not because I look down on the occupation, but because I don't think I am good enough to be a teacher. To me, a teacher's job is not just to teach the students what's in the syllabus, but more importantly, to educate the students. Educate as in broadening the student's knowledge, shaping them to be not just an intelligent being but also a person with moral compass. And it's hard to be a teacher. A teacher who only cares about the students' grade or academic excellence is a failure, and cannot be considered a teacher! So is a "teacher" who doesn't know how to teach properly, making the students hate the subject. It's hard to be a good teacher. If I want to be a teacher, I want to be a good one. I want to make my students enjoy my lessons so much that they look forward for my every lesson everyday and I want to make my students fall in love with the subject that I'm teaching. It's too heavy a responsibilty for my shoulder to carry :( Some may argue with me and said that how do I know if I cant' be a good teacher when I haven't even try. Well, I tried to help my bro and sis with their hw and most of the time, they don't get what I'm saying, or teaching and i will end up losing my temper and call them stupid, which is not the nicest thing for a big sister to say. And I tried to tutoring a Sec 1 students Math. I think I did ok, I didn't throw my tantrum like I did to my siblings, but I don't think I did a good job) So, I have no patience or any other characteristics of a good teacher.
My aunt also asked if I wanted to study S2, like his eldest son. I said may be. Then she continued to comment that I'm the daughte of a "boss" and her sons are just the children of an employee, so if her sons can study till Master degree, how can a "boss' " daughter lose to an employee's son. *roll eyes* Seriously, this is the 21st century! (of course I didn't tell my aunt that. Hey, I'm a good girl! I respect my elders!) I just kept quiet and said,"Oh!" She even wanted me to take PhD! I don't want to study till old. I want to taste what's working life is like, although I heard enough complaint about how much better studying is than working. But I don't want to stay in school(or uni) forever! And I don't want to teach! (PhD = professor= teach= NO! )
Then, my aunt also talked about how great her sons are, winning scholarships, the three of them. I said," but her being an insurance agent played a part in them having that specific scholarships that they hold." But she disagreed with me. She said that her sons are good so they won the scholarship. I don't deny that. I mean you have to be good to win any scholarship. But OSU has a limited scholarship for international students( now come to think of it, I don't even know if OSU has any scholarship to offer international students. Oh my!) The scholarships that my three cousins hold is some scholarship sponsored her insurance company!
I want to win scholarship too,ok! Who don't want that? I hope I can find some scholarships that I'm eligible for.
Academics aside, my aunt warned me against "tan lian ai", having a boy-girl relationship. And if the cupid's arrow really pierced my heart, I must not date a black guy. It's not discriminating the blacks or anything. It's just that it's the culture-no dating or worse marrying a person of different race- She also oppose me dating a Caucasian, but not as strong as dating a black guy. Me? I have always preferred a Caucasian guy to a black guy. If you notice, I didn't write any black footballer under my list of world cup eye-candies! Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against the blacks too. I guess it's just the way i am brought up, and also my personal liking.
No comments:
Post a Comment