Sunday, July 09, 2006


France didn't prove me wrong (as expected). Well, they nearly did with the Zidane penalty! But Italy (as expected again) equalized!

This world cup has been so "sucky" for me. All, almost all, my predictions were wrong. And hurray to my sis and Ren! They (randomly) picked Italy to win and the Italians did! =(

The final match was an entertaining match marred by some serious physical contacts by both teams. The hunger for the ultimate glory! The desperation from the unjustified ends from string of chances of scoring goals led to some unthinkable actions, best represented by Zidane. A player of such calibre head-butted another player in the moment of desperation! Desperate time calls for desperate measures!

I don't know what exactly made Zidane do that. He should have remained cool! It's sad really, for anyone to end their career the way Zidane did. (Well, not every story have a happy ending, right?)And he wasn't even allowed to attend the prize giving ceremony! What was that? Even if he did the country wrong, he should not be sorely blamed for it! The whole team should be blamed! Zidane did enough to bring France this far. Give the guy credit he deserved!!!

Back to the match. I'm not in the mood to comment much!
I just want to say that the final was not as good as I expected! And yeah, thanks to France, we see some refreshment in not seeing Brazil in the final. I really welcome that. Don't you just get tired of havign the same team in the final for many years? Give someone else a chance!

Anyway, when the game went to penalty, I knew right away that Italy will win. Please, Buffon guarding the goal vs the eccentric Fabian Barthez? No brainer, Buffon is definitely better. He's not as good a penalty stopper as Ricardo, but still, the chances of him saving a penalty is much higher than Barthez's!!! Besides, Italy had more illustrious records in winning the penalties. Defying the odds? France had done it in beating Brazil and reaching the final. You can't beat too many odds, not in one tournament. Miracles have its limit! Trust me! Well, I trust myself and no surprise, Italy won the World Cup!

I can't stand it when the Italians' mouths were all over the trophy! They couldn't stop smooching the trophy! Eewww!!! And they were crowding the whole place till the person-in-charge could not present Cannavaro with the trophy. And what an antic Cannavaro did when he stand at the table supposedly for the World Cup trophy! Feeling top of the world, I bet! Well, I guess he will win the Golden Boot Award now that Zidane was sent off! I really feel bad for him. I know he doesn't need my sympathy but still, i'm free to express my emotion and my heart goes to him. That's life!

A consolation for the mess surrounding the Italian clubs back home, I guess!

No comments: