Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ignorance Is A Bliss

I just realised that Judaism, Christianity and Islamism are similar in nature. They are monotheistic. They believe in "One God". And the "One God" is apparently the same God. It's just that they are called differently. The Quran,for example, agrees with what is written on the Bible, though the Bible is thought to be incomplete. My professor mentioned that he found it bizarre that people under these religions will fight one another. There are numerous conflicts between Christians and Islams, resulting them in killing one another. They are supposed to be "brothers"! And even more bizarre when the believer of the religion used their religion as a mean to kill others of different religions! I totally agree with my professor. Mutilated beliefs are likely to be the reasons for these three religions believers to want to kill one another. I mean it's wrong to kill other human beings, but the fact that these three religions are strongly linked, make it even more unthinkable!!!

I have just watched the latest news on the Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon "wars". Tears formed in my eyes and my heart ached as I watched the scenes of the innocent lives that were sacrificed by the selfish people who claimed to be fighting for the cause of their citizens. Defending the citizens means protecting the citizens from harm and helping them gain happiness, peace,etc... But what have they done? Causing great suffering to their citizens. They preached one thing and do the other things. "Free my soldiers or I will attack!" So they said. And attack they did. And what's the result? No one is freed but many INNOCENT lives are killed! The end does not justify the means!!!!!!!!!!

I watched for a couple of minutes and looked away from the tv screen, wiping my tears away and reflecting on how lucky I am to be able to lead the life I have right now. I could be there in Israel or Lebanon. But here I am living my life peacefully. I may be homesick and wishing that things could be better with my life. But I only need to think of the victims in the MiddleEast or the people in poverty-stricken Africa to feel that MY LIFE IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER than theirs. What more could I ask???

I have to admit that I really, really hate to watch such scenes. They not only make me reflect on my life but more often than not, they make me feel guilty. Yes, I feel guilty to be able to have a peaceful life with nothing to worry about except my school grades, my driving license, my appearance... It's not my fault that the people are suffering. I'm not the one who blast the missles... I will tell myself, but to no avail. I hate to see such news or commercials. Yeah, I will donate. I know I have the duty to help the poor, the needy! I don't need a reminder!!! A reminder to do my duty? I think it's more like a reminder that I should feel guilty, that I should not lead my life with all the luxuries that I have even if I deserve them with so many people in this world are suffering and could be help with the money I spent on the luxuries(like what Peter Singer's idiotic theory says). But how many can I save? Does the money I donate really go to the needy? Don't I have a right to spend the money that are given to me by parents to buy things that will improve my life, things that will make me happy?

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS

No comments: